Monday 3 November 2014

Baby Alpaca Wool Hat!

A couple weeks ago when I was just discovering the kind of yarn junkie I am in danger of becoming , I bought this baby alpaca yarn just because it was so soft I had to have it. I didn't know what I could knit with it but it was enough just to have in my stash and snuggle with it from time to time .

That's right. Snuggling with yarn.

My next project was actually going to be these beautiful fingerless gloves with a merino/silk blend,  but I hit a snag. I didn't even get as far as to cast on the double pointed needles, which I was thoroughly intimidated by.  This was as far as I got on that project:

That's right. I can't even roll the skein into a workable ball of yarn. I'm ashamed to say that I spent the better part of a week trying to save this train-wreck but after all my efforts, the thin, fingering yarn finally snapped and I was left with an unsatisfactory sized ball and a giant tangled nightmare. I don't want to give up on it but let's just say I'm taking a hiatus from this project.

So, turning to my next piece in the Ravelry queue, I turned to the alpaca wool and attempted a hat.  It was my first completed project on circular needles. I chose Crazy Aunt Purls Brangelina hat. Way easier than I thought it would be, although I did the entire thing on circular needles instead of switching to the dpns as the pattern suggests , simply because I couldn't find size 11 dpns at my local walmart this morning. There was a lot of twisting and contorting the circular needles near the end but I got 'er dun!

I knitted this very casually over the course of three or four evenings.

Here's the finished product:


There's one part where I seriously messed up and dropped a stitch while knitting the ribbing. After I finished, I noticed there was a loop sticking out and in the process of unravelling. So I just tied a knot in that sucker and keep that part of the hat at the back- again, I ask: who is going to be staring at the back of my head? 

I am loving this wool though, it's like  having a baby alpaca snuggling my head. Great pattern too! I can see myself making more of these in the near future.

What should I knit next??





1 comment: